Finally!!! Trailer season is open and here you go I have my first dinner on my deck – home-made hungarian sausages with mashed potatoes.
First dinner at the trailer 2013
I was searching on the web for another Romanian soup and I just found a chicken soup from Radauti which is a “must try” recipe. It’s very simple to make and the result is surprisingly good. For the weight watchers…….I don’t really recommend this recipe as the number of calories are ………”countless”!
- one chicken – approx 1-1.5kg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 big onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 big parsley root
- 1/3-1/2 celery root
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (I used 3 tsp of borsch) or to your taste
- 500 g sour cream 30% fat or less
- 1 tbsp white flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp dill
- 2 tsp lovage
- Put the chicken in 4 liters of liquid (I used 2L chicken stock and 2L water) with approx.. 1 tbsp of salt
- Boil it for 1 hour or so and discard the white foam forming on the surface of the water
- Peel onions, carrots, parsley root, celery root and potatoes
- Chop everything in small cubes. Potatoes should be cut into bigger cubes.
- Sauté the onion, parsley root, carrots, celery root and celery stalks in the vegetable oil for 15 minutes and then add potatoes and stir for another 5 minutes
- Add all the vegetables to the big pot where the chicken is boiling
- Boil everything for an additional 30 minutes until the meat is falling of the bones and the vegetables are soft
- Take the pot and put it aside
- Separate the meat and discard all the bones
- Mince the garlic until soft and pasty. Combine it with few tablespoons of soup and add it to the pot
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice or borsch
- Mix the flour with cream and 3 eggs. Blend well. Dilute the mixture with a little broth and pour it into the pot.
- Place the pot on the stove on very low heat (soup must not boil)
- Keep it on the stove for another 5 min and add all greens (parsley, dill and lovage).
The soup is served with one minced garlic clove, one tablespoon of sour cream and hot peppers or hot sauce.
See original recipe in Romanian – http://www.cevabun.ro/ciorba-de-pui-radauteana/