This is another great Romanian dish from my grand-grand parents collection – White beans with smoked ribs.
- 500 gr of dry white beans
- 1-2 big yellow onions
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rack of smoked ribs or any kind of pork smoked meat or some good smoked sausages
- parsley, dill and thyme
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
For easy cooking, after washing the beans, keep them in water for the night and the next day boil them in a pot. While boiling, chop the onion and brown it in a pan with some corn oil, add tomato paste, bay leaf and red pepper and the carrot cut in small cubs and cook everything for 5-10 minutes. When the beans are almost done, add the onion mixtures and boil until cooked through (2-3 hours or less depending of the beans you use). 10-15 min before is ready, add the ribs cut in small portions. After everything is ready, take the pot of the heat and add the thyme, parsley and chopped garlic.
- Courgette and bean stew – a hint of summer (robin-ellis.net)
- Quick Chorizo & Three Bean Stew (eatalready.com)
- Fabada Asturiana (It’s Bean a Long Time) (pezzarellaskitchen.wordpress.com)
- Jalapeno turkey chili with black beans recipe (voxxi.com)
Chances are I won’t be able to buy the ribs here, so sausages will have to do. Will definitely try this later in the week as I have loads of dried cannellini beans in my cupboard.
No smoked ribs in any smal deli shops? You can do your own if you want.
Must try this one!
I strongly recommend it. If you like beans, than go for it. I love beans in any color, any recipe, combined with anything, LOVE beans.